Professor Dr. Adnan Al-Anbuky
Professor of Electrical and Electronic Engineering & Director of the Sensor Network & Smart Environment Research Centre(SeNSe)
AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand
Adnan Al-Anbuky is a full professor at Auckland University of Technology. He received his BSc, MSc, and Ph.D. degrees from University of Baghdad/Iraq, University of Salford/UK and UMIST/UK in 1969, 1971 and 1975 respectively. During 1975 to 1995 he has assumed number of academic and administrative positions at Baghdad University of Technology/Iraq and Yarmouk University/Jordan. The area of his focus was embedded systems as applied to incremental motion control. Professor Al-Anbuky joined Swichtec/New Zealand on 1996 for establishing and running an industrial research unit on telecommunication DC power systems monitoring and remote management. This has successfully utilized the NZ government funding, the international $3.5B Invensys corporate facilities and resources and the University of Canterbury postgraduate research students. Late 2005 he joined AUT as a professor and head of electrical and electronics engineering department. The establishment of the Sensor Network and Smart Environment SeNSe/ research centre in mid-2006 has led into a number of concepts that benefited both the local and international communities. He has been involved in running good number of conferences and workshops. He has authored good number of peer reviewed papers and delivered number of invited talks. Professor Al-Anbuky enjoys good connectivity with both local and international research and industrial communities.
BSc (University of Baghdad/ Iraq) 1969; MSc (University of Salford/UK) 1971, PhD (UMIST/ UK) 1975
Years as a practising researcher: 1970 – to date
738001 Industrial Project (course leader) (2006, 2007 and 2008)
738001 Industrial Project (project supervisor)
738019 Intelligent Systems Engineering (2008 – to date)
739000 Intelligent Systems (2008 - to date)
739001 Wireless Sensor Network (2011 – to date)
709011 Engineering Research Methodology (2009- to date)
- Stephen Low: Analytical modeling of a haptic-robot system used for rehabilitation [Started Dec 2009]
- Saud Altaf: Smart Sensor Network Organization: Sensor Data Fusion and Industrial Fault Traceability [started 2009]
- Syarifa Eziden: Network Performance Analysis and Modelling for Internetworking WSN with the Internet [started 2010]
- Han Chang Yang: Wildlife Cognitive Sensor Network [started Sept 2007]
- Mee Long (Bobby): Security in Wireless Sensor Networks [started 2010]
- Craig Walker: Opportunistic Peer to Peer Firmware Updating for wireless Sensor Network [Started Dec 2012]
- Indrajit Acharyya: IoT Based Sensor Network
- Mirjana Bogosanovic: Microwave Sensing for Applications in the Wood Industry [Graduated Dec 2012] http://hdl.handle.net/10292/4796
- Hakilo Sabit: Distributed Incremental Data Stream Mining for Wireless Sensor Network [Graduated August 2013] http://hdl.handle.net/10292/5258
- Alireza Gheitas: Motor Fault Recognition Using Distributed Signature Analysis [Graduated August 2013] http://hdl.handle.net/10292/5280
- Sivaramkrishnan Sivakumar: Energy Efficient Opportunistic Connectivity for Wireless Sensor Network[Graduated August 2013] http://hdl.handle.net/10292/5281
- Izani Rawi: Sensor Network Embedded Intelligence:Human Comfort Ambient Intelligence [Dec 2013] http://hdl.handle.net/10292/5829
- Naresh Yamni: Object-Centric Intelligence: Sensor Network and Thermal Mapping [Dec 2013] http://hdl.handle.net/10292/6019
- David Taylor: The Automatic Eye Alignment of an Infrared Optometer http://hdl.handle.net/10292/891
- Bing Luo: Energy Aware Survivable Routing Approaches for Next Generation Networks (NGNs) Design http://hdl.handle.net/10292/5519
- Ms Danyi Liu: Mobile Phone based Remote Monitoring System http://hdl.handle.net/10292/526
- Ms Linda Liu: Bluetooth Information Exchange Network http://hdl.handle.net/10292/722
- Mr Vashu Devan: pH Wireless Sensor Network for Meat Tenderizing Process http://hdl.handle.net/10292/1083
- Mr Craig Walker: Development of a Wireless Friendly Fire Prevention System Model http://hdl.handle.net/10292/1189
- Lakshmi Bhargavi: Wildfire Hazard Prediction: A fuzzy Model for Sensor EmbeddedIntelligence http://hdl.handle.net/10292/4661
- Dr Pillip E. Pascoe, "Standby VRLA Battery Behavioural Prediction", Canterbury University, PhD, 2002.
- Dr Pillip M. Hunter, "VRLA Battery Float Charge Analysis and Optimisation", Canterbury University, PhD, 2003.
- Dr Darren Lim, "Battery Management Network Architecture", Canterbury University, PhD, 2004.
- Dr Shannon Page, "Regenerative Fuel Cell Behavioural Prediction", Canterbury University, PhD, 2007
- P. Pascoe, "VRLA Battery State of Charge and Capacity Estimation", Canterbury University, ME, 1998.
- P. Hunter, "Advanced Battery Management and Control", Canterbury University, ME, 1999.
- Z. Ma, "Embedded Communication Controller for Battery Monitoring System", Canterbury University, ME, 2000.
- D. Sanders, "A User Interface for Telecommunication Battery Monitoring Systems", Canterbury University, ME, 2002
- T. Johnson, "Battery Equalise Using Group Energy Sharing", Canterbury University, ME, 2003.
- Y.A. Lim, "Embedded AI for Telecommunication Alarm Decision Support System", Canterbury University, ME, 2003.
- A. Tjondronugroho, "Advanced Converter Control", Canterbury University, ME, 2005.
Academic Staff member (Full professor 1987) / Baghdad University of Technology/ Baghdad
Professor Head of Computer Engineering Group (91-93), Dean of Engineering Faculty (93-95)/ Yarmouk University/ Jordan
Design Engineer (96-99), Research Specialist (99-04) / Swichtec NZ (currently Eaton)
Adjunct fellow/ ECED/ University of Canterbury
Visiting Staff member/ CSSE/ University of Canterbury
Professor/Head of Elect Eng/ Associate Head of Eng School/ AUT University/ NZ
Professor/ Director of SeNSe Lab./ School of Eng. / AUT University
External Board or Committee memberships
- Member of Hawker Energy R&D Directors (1999- 2002)
- Member of NZ Planet Lab group (2008- to date)
- Member of Editorial Board Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks, (2011- to date) http://www.mdpi.com/journal/jsan/editors
- Chair of organization committee APCC 2010 and ATNAC 2010 Sept 2009-Dec 2010 http://apcc2010.aut.ac.nz/
- Member of ATNAC 2013 and ITC 2013 Steering Committee (Nov 2012 - to date) http://www.atnac.org/Committee2013.html
- Member of Advisory board for Asia Pacific Communication Conference APCC (2010 – to date)
- Member of editorial board for Journal of Telecommunications Systems and Management JTSM (2013 – to date ) http://www.omicsgroup.org/journals/editorialboardJTSM.phpOMICS
- Member of board for AUT Technology Park (2006-2012)
Recent Invited Talks AND Seminars Presentations
- Opening talk APCC and ATNAC 2010, Auckland NZ http://apcc2010.aut.ac.nz/
- Keynote talk IEEE NZ I&M workshop, AUT NZ, 10-11 March 2011, “Sensor Network Embedded Intelligence: Ubiquitous Real time Sensing, Monitoring & Management”
- Organize a business forum at ICC2011Kyoto Japan, 5-9 June 2011, "Scientific Wireless Sensor Network Testbeds: Growth & Impact" http://www.ieee-icc.org/2011/business_forum.php
- Keynote talk at CQRT 2012, Mt Blanc France, 29Apr-4May 2012 "Integrating the Physical World through the Cyber World: Federated Sensor Networks Prospects and Challenges" http://www.iaria.org/conferences2012/ProgramCTRQ12.html
- Panel Session at ICWMC 2012, Vence Italy, 24-29 June 2012, "The Next Hops Towards Everywhere, Anytime,..." http://www.iaria.org/conferences2012/ProgramICWMC12.html
- Keynote talk at APCC 2013, Bali Indonesia, 29-31 August 2013, "Federated Scientific Sensor Network Testbeds Prospects and Challenges", http://apcc.pro/program/keynote-sessions/
- Invited talk at CCTA 2013, Beijing, China, 18-20 September 2013 "Prospects and Challenges of Federated Sensor Networks" http://www.iccta.cn/ch/first_menu.aspx?parent_id=20130416110115001
- Invited talk at UniSim, Singapore, Sponsored by IEEE Singapore Signal Processing Chapter, Singapore, 13th September 2013, "Smart Buildings and Human Comfort"
Recent Research Proposals Reviews and Theses Examination
- Review Graduate program on Dependable Smart Systems for the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific
- Review two research proposals for the Korean Scientific funding authority
- Conduct Theses examination at ME and PhD level to number of local and internatinal Universities like University of Auckland, Massey University and Edith Cawon University (ECU)
- Regular reviewer to number of international journals and conferences
Acquisition of research fund While at AUT
- Acquired Around $850,000 local and international fund over 2006-2012
- One of the three partners that recently won the $6.5 Million MBIE fund for the "Sensor Networks for Inventory Management of Fresh Food Exports" research proposal
- Acquire $140,000 as a local AUT fund for the establishment of AUT Sensor Network Testbed
1. Journal Publications
- Y. Liu, B-C Seet and A. Al-Anbuky, "Ambient Intelligence Context-Based Cross-Layer Design in Wireless Sensor Networks", Sensors 2014, 14, 19057-19085; doi:10.3390/s141019057, http://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/14/10/19057/pdf
- M. L. Yang, A. Al-Anbuky and W. Liu, "An Authenticated Scheme for Wireless Sensor Network",J. Sens. Actuator Netw. 2014, 3(3), 181-206; doi:10.3390/jsan3030181, http://www.mdpi.com/2224-2708/3/3/181/
- H. Sabit, A. Al-Anbuky "Multivariate Spatial Condition Mapping using Subtractive Fuzzy Cluster Means"Sensors 2014, 14(10), 18960-18981; doi:10.3390/s141018960, http://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/14/10/18960
- S. Ezdiani, A. Al-Anbuky "Modelling the Integrated QoS for Wireless Sensor Networks with Heterogeneous Data Traffic" Open Journal of Internet Of Things (OJIOT), Volume 1, Issue 1, 2014
- A. Al-Anbuky, "Federated Sensor Network Prospects and Challenges" J Telecommun Syst Manage 2013, 2:1, http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2167-0919.1000e108, Editorial article
- M. I. Rawi, A. Al-Anbuky, "Wireless sensor networks and human comfort index" Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, June 2013, Volume 17, Issue 5, pp 999-1011
- Z. Rafique, BC Seet * and A. Al-Anbuky, "Performance Analysis of Cooperative Virtual MIMO Systems for Wireless Sensor Networks" Sensors 2013, 13, 7033-7052; doi:10.3390/s130607033
- Y. Liu, BC Seet * and A. Al-Anbuky, "An Ontology-Based Context Model for Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) Management in the Internet of Things" J. Sens. Actuator Netw. 2013, 2, 653-674; doi:10.3390/jsan2040653
- M. Bogosanovic, A. Al-Anbuky, G. Emms "Microwave measurement of wood anisotropy with application to grain direction measurement" IEEE Transaction Instrumentation & Measurement, IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 13, Issue 1, January 2013, pp 306-13, Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/JSEN.2012.2211192
- H. Sabit, A. Al-Anbuky, & H. G. Hossieni "Data stream Mining for Wireless Sensor Networks Environment: Energy Efficient Fuzzy Clustering Algorithm" International Journal of Autonomous and Adaptive Communications Systems, Sept 2011, Vol.4, Iss 4, PP 383-397.
- M. Bogosanovic, A. Al-Anbuky, G. Emms "Overview and comparison of microwave non-contact wood measurement techniques" Journal of Wood Science, vol. 56, no 5, pp 357-365, 2010, Springer Japan
- P. Hunter and A. Anbuky, "VRLA Battery Virtual Reference Electrode, Battery Float Charge Analysis", IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol.23, No.3, Sept.2008, PP 879-86.
- S. Page, A. Anbuky, S. Krumdieck, and J. Brouwer , "Test Method and Equivalent Circuit Modeling of a PEM Fuel Cell in a Passive State", IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol.22, No.3, ITCNE4, Sept.2007, PP 764-773
- P. Pascoe and A. Anbuky, "Standby Power System VRLA Battery Reserve Life Estimation Scheme", IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Dec’2005, Vol.20, No.4, PP 887-95.
- D. Lim and A. Anbuky "A Distributed Industrial Battery Management Network", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 51, No. 6, ITIED6, PP 1181-93
- Pascoe, A. Anbuky, "A Unified Discharge Characteristic for VRLA Battery Reserve Time Estimation", IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics, Nov. 2004, Vol 19, Issue 6, PP 1515-22
- P Pascoe and A. Anbuky "A VRLA Battery Simulation Model", International Journal of Energy Conversion and Management, Elsevier, Vol. 45, Issue 7-8, PP 1015-41, May 2004
- P Pascoe and A. Anbuky, "A Unified Discharge Voltage Characteristic for VRLA Battery Capacity and Reserve Time Estimation", International Journal of Energy Conversion and Management, Energy Conversion and Management, Elsevier, Vol.45, Issue 2, PP 157-314, Jan’04
2. Conference Publications
- A. Al-Anbuky, "Sensor-Actuator Smart lighting System: System Organizational Concept and Challenges" ICT4S 2014, 24-27 August 2014, Stockholm, Sweden.
- S. Altaf, A. Al-Anbuky, H GholamHosseini "Fault Diagnosis in a Distributed Motor Network using Artificial Neural Network" 22nd International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion SPEEDAM 2014, 18-20 June 2014, Ischia, Italy
- M.L. Yang, A. Al-Anbuky, and W Liu "Security of the Multiple-Key Blom's Key Agreement Scheme for Sensor Networks" IFIP International Information Security and Privacy Conference IFIP SEC 2014, 2-4 June 2014. Marrakech, Morocco
- M.L. Yang, A. Al-Anbuky, W Liu, "An Identity-based Authentication Protocol for Sensor Networks", 2014 IEEE Ninth International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing ISSNIP, Singapore, 21- 24 April 2014
- S. Ezdiani and A. Al-Anbuky "Integrating WSN with the Internet: QoS Analysis and Modeling for Heterogeneous Data Traffic" Wireless Telecommunication Symposium WTS 2014, 9-11 April 2014, Waterview Conference Centre, Washington DC
- S. Altaf, A. Al-Anbuky and H GholamHosseini, "Fault Signal Propagation in a Network of Distributed Motors" 2014 IEEE 8th International Power Engineering and Optimization Techniques PEOCO2014, Langkawi, Malaysia, 24-25 March, 2014
- C. G. Walker and A. Al-Anbuky "Hunter Friendly Fire Avoidance: Modeling a wireless solution" ATNAC 2013, 20-22 November 2013, Christchurch, New Zealand
- B. Luo, W Liu and A. Al-Anbuky, "Energy Aware Survivable Routing Approaches for Next Generation Networks" ATNAC 2013, 20-22 November 2013, Christchurch, New Zealand
- M. Yang, A. Al-Anbuky, & W.Liu "The Multiple-Key Blom’s Scheme for Key Establishment in Mobile Ad Hoc Sensor Networks" APCC 2013, 29-31 Aug 2013, Bali, Indonesia
- Y Liu, B-C Seet and A Al-Anbuky, "In-Network Storage for Virtual Broker-based Publish/Subscribe in WSNs", PMIRC 2012, 9-12 Sept 2012, Sydney, Australia
- S. Sivakumar and A Al-Anbuky, "Vehicular Networks Smart Connectivity" ICWMC 2012, June 24-29, 2012 - Venice, Italy
- M. L. Yang, A. Al-Anbuky, and W. Liu “A Fast and Efficient Key Agreement Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks” ICWMC 2012, June 24-29, 2012-Venice,It
- S Ezdiani and A. Al-Anbuky “Quality of Service Modelling for Federated Wireless Sensor Network Testbeds Gateways” CTRQ2012, April29 -May4, 2012, France
- S. Sabit, A. Al-Anbuky & H.G.Hossieni, “Wireless Sensor Network assisted Wildfire Hazard Prediction System Modeling”, The 2nd International Conference on Ambient Systems, Networks and Technologies. ANT 2011, 19-21 Sept 2011, Niagara Falls, Canada.
- I. Rawi, & A. Al-Anbuky “Development of Intelligent Wireless Sensor Networks for Human Comfort Index Measurement” The 2nd International Conference on Ambient Systems, Networks and Technologies, ANT 2011, 19-21 Sept 2011, Niagara Falls, Canada
- N. Yamani, & A. Al-Anbuky, “neuro Wireless Sensor Network Architecture: Cool Stores Dynamic Thermal Mapping” 2011 IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium, Feb 22-24, 2011, San Antonio, Texas., USA.
- S. Sivakumar, A. Al Anbuky, & B. Breen, “Adaptive Sampling for Node Discovery: Wildlife Monitoring & Sensor Network”, APCC 2010, PP 447-452, 31 Oct-3 Nov 2010, Auckland, NZ
- Y. Liu, B-C Seet, and A. Al-Anbuky “Virtual Brokers for Large-Scale Publish/Subscribe in Wireless Sensor Network” 2nd International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing, Hong Kong SAR, China, 11-13 Dec 2010
- S. Sivakumar and A. Al-Anbuky “Analysis of network connectivity: Wildlife and Sensor Network” Proceedings of Australasia Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference, 10-12 Nov 2009, Canberra, Australia.
- S. Hakilo, A. Al-Anbuky, and G. H. Hosseini, “Distributed WSN Data Stream Mining based on Fuzzy Clustering”, The Sixth International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing, St Lucia, Brisbane, Au, July 7-9, 2009
- N Yamani and A Al-Anbuky "Object-Centric Thermal Mapping (OCT MAP): A Wireless Sensor Network Perspective", 8th Annual IEEE Conference on Sensors, Christchurch, New Zealand, October 25-28, 2009.
- L Liu and A Al-Anbuky, “Bluetooth Information Exchange Network”, ATNAC’08, 7-8 Dec. 2008, Adelaide, Australia.
- D Grant and A Al-Anbuky, “Wireless Microclimate Sensor” ISSNIP 2007, 3-6 Dec 2007, Melbourne, Australia
- D Liu, A Al-Anbuky and C Lin “Mobile Embedded Database for Remote Process Management System” ATNAC 2007, 2-5 December 2007, Chateau on the Park, ChCh, NZ
- Anbuky, D Lim and P Pascoe, “Battery Embedded Distributed Sensing & Control”, CATA 2007, 28-30 March 2007, Honolulu, USA
- Anbuky, "Operational Management Network for Industrial Battery", The third European Conference on Intelligent Management Systems in Operations, 28 & 29 June, 2005, The Lowry, Salford Quays, Greater Manchester, U.K.
- D Lim and A. Anbuky,”CAN based Battery: Design, Analysis, Modelling, and Simulation “, 5th IEEE International Workshop on Factory Communication Systems, Sept 22-24, 2004, Institute of Computer Technology-Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria.
- S Page, S Krumdieck, and A. Anbuky, “Condition Assessment Monitor (CAM) Test for PEM Back-up Power Systems“, Fuel Cell Seminar’04, Nov 2 2004, San Antonio, Texas
- S Page, S Krumdieck, and A. Anbuky, “Testing Procedure for Passive Fuel Cell State of Health“ ,AUPEC’04, 26-29 September 2004, The University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Brisbane, Australia
- A Tjondronugoroho, A. Al-Anbuky, S Round, and R Duke, “Evaluation of DSP and FPGA Based Digital Controllers for Single-Phase PWM Inverter” , AUPEC’04, 26-29 September 2004, The University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Brisbane, Australia
- D Lim, A. Anbuky, and H Sirisena, “Simulation Model of a Distributed VRLA Battery Network“ , AUPEC’04, 26-29 September 2004, The University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Brisbane, Australia
- P Hunter and A. Anbuky, “A Virtual Reference Electrode for Field Analysis and Optimisation of VRLA Battery Float Charge” ,Intelec’04, September 19-23, 2004, Chicago, USA
- P Pascoe and A. Anbuky, “Standby VRLA Battery Reserved Life Estimation”, Intelec’04, September 19-23, 2004, Chicago, USA
- D Lim and A. Anbuky “Modelling and Simulation of a Distributed Battery Management System” Proceedings of ISIE 2004, May 4-7 2004, Ajaccio, France.
- S Page, A. Anbuky, and S Krumdieck “Modular Organisation for PEMFC System Simulation Model”, 2003 Fuel Cell Seminar, Nov 3-7, 2003, Miami Beach, Florida.
- S Page and A. Anbuky, “A Framework for Standby PEM Fuel Cell Simulation Model”, Intelec’03, Oct 20, 2003, Yokohama, Japan.
- A. Al-Anbuky, S. Page, S. Krumdieck ,” Method of testing an electrochemical device”, US 8,125,193, 28th Feb 2012
- A. Al-Anbuky, & P. Hunter, “Battery Float Management”, US Patent 7,772,851 B2, Aug. 10, 2010, 18 pages
- A. Al-Anbuky and P Pascoe, “Method Apparatus and Computer Program Products for Battery Monitoring Using Predetermined Battery Discharge Characteristics”, US Patent 7,402980 B2, July, 22, 2008
- A. Al-Anbuky and P. Pascoe, “Method Apparatus and Computer Program Products for Battery Monitoring Using Predetermined Battery Discharge Characteristics”, US Patent 7,402980 B2, July, 22, 2008.
- A. Al-Anbuky and P. Pascoe, “Method Apparatus and Computer Program Products for Estimation of Battery Reserved Life Using Adaptively modified State of Health Indicator-Based Reserved Life Models ”, US Patent 7,199557 B2, April, 3, 2007.